Thursday, July 28, 2011

The subject of love

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserves." 1 Corinthians 13: 4 - 7

We are given a complete definition of love. If I went through the list of what love is and compare it to what I have there is only one way to see it. We love in what way we can as we were born sinners.
I cannot tick those boxes. There a some days when I can tick it on a certain topic or situation, which is a huge relief. But most of the time I think I am the most selfish person alive! There really is no other way of looking at it.

But we are also given the perfect example of love from our Creator and through Jesus Christ.

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love come from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1 John 4: 7 - 8 (emphasis mine)

God is love

He is love and he gave us a detailed example of love and he continues to give us everlasting proof of his love. When I hear this all I want to do is give my all to be a mirror of that love. To set aside all thought to oneself and really (really) care for other. Even if my reflection is perhaps rusted due to that fact that we are sinful, I still want to give it my all despite the mistakes I know I will make. You can never fail it you try.

That would be my first choice of a 'career' to be a mirror of God's love. Definitely a life long commitment! But God is doing it to us and for us. The least I can do is try my hardest to do the same in His Name.

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are." 1 John 3:1

Love Me

No comments:

Post a Comment